Google

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Review copy:
I'd heard publishers were starting to offer books for review to bloggers, so was pleased to hear from the publisher of Knightfall: Knight Ridder and How the Erosion of Newspaper Journalism is Putting Democracy at Risk by Davis 'Buzz' Merritt, former editor of the KR paper in Wichita. The book arrived this week and I'll be reading -- and commenting on -- it, soon. I've read some interesting things about the book so can't wait: (Just as soon as I finish the intense Jane Austen bio I'm reading.....)

2 Comments:

  • Reading "Knightfall" was like eating popcorn. I couldn't stop, and when I got to the end I wanted more. Would it have been different if I wasn't working in a Knight-Ridder shop? Perhaps. But the book is timely and its application far beyond the KRI community.

    Perhaps a more useful book is the one by Philip Meyer, mentioned also in Merritt's pages. Meyer uses his social-research methods to begin building a case that quality journalism has economic value. Wall Street tends to disagree, with consequences that Meyer and Merritt both describe quite well. I liked Meyer's concluding chapter, with proposed remedies. They are not enough, but a welcome beginning.

    By Blogger JHop, at 12:55 PM  

  • I've also been reading a lot about Phil Meyer's book, and wish I had a copy alongside to read along with the Merritt book. Not that I can read two books at once...but with these two, maybe worth it....

    By Blogger liz, at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home